Labour Day 2022: What’s open, closed and what is going on on in Guelph
Autumn is around the corner and it’s back-to-school time for many. But before that there is still Labour Day Monday, a day off for many, to enjoy.
Here is a look at much of what is open and closed on Sept. 5 in Guelph, with a look at some things to do, too.
Environment Canada is calling for a high of 21C in Guelph on Labour Day, with a 30 per cent chance of showers.
TRASH AND TREASURE
• Put unwanted items at the curb on Monday because, hey, you never know, someone else may want them. It’s Goods Exchange Weekend in Guelph, and it continues on Labour Day. Check out information here.
• Roll your carts to the curb one day after your usual day as there is no waste collection on Sept. 5. Carts will get emptied a day later this week.
IT’S A BEAUTIFUL THING
• On Monday, a Guelph swimming pool is going to the dogs. Info here.
• The local Labour Day picnic takes place on the holiday and there will be live music, $1 hot dogs and more. Details here.
• If you’re hungry for a hamburger in Guelph, note that Harvey’s will be giving out free burgers in the burg. Details here.
COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF
• The thought of fall means thoughts of football for many, and people can get their gridiron fix Monday at the University of Guelph.
On Labour Day, the Guelph Gryphons will be hard at work when they host Windsor in OUA football action.
Game time is 1 p.m. Head here for more info.
The Gryphons opened their season with a 34-11 road loss against Western, the defending Vanier Cup champs.
In other sports play Monday, the Guelph Storm are in pre-season action against Kitchener in Ayr at 2 p.m.
The 50/50 draw and jersey raffle at the game are raising funds for the Eli Palfreyman Memorial Scholarship.
Palfreyman, Ayr Centennials’ captain, died last week.
LABOUR DAY LAGERS
• Two Beer Store locations are open on Sept. 5. Both the 111 Silvercreek Pkwy. N. (Willow West Mall) spot and the 710 Woolwich St. store are open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• All LCBO stores are closed Monday.
• Visit the websites of local breweries like Fixed Gear Brewing Co., Wellington Brewery, Sleeman Breweries, Brothers Brewing Company and Royal City Brewing Co. to inquire about their hours, or give them a call.
SOME STORES OPEN
• Mosborough Country Market (5284 Wellington Rd. 32, at Speedvale Avenue West) is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit them online here.
• Market Fresh (10 Paisley St.) is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Labour Day. Have a look here.
• Several Rexall and Shoppers Drug Mart locations here are up and at ’em on Monday:
• 265 Eramosa Rd. (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• 666 Woolwich St. (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Shoppers Drug Mart:
• 104 Silvercreek Pkwy N. (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• 615 Scottsdale Dr. (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• 88 Clair Rd. E. (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• 375 Eramosa Rd. (8 a.m. to midnight)
On holidays, all bus stops in Guelph will become on-demand holiday bus service stops in addition to the 99 mainline between 9:15 a.m. to 7:15 p.m.
Mobility service will run from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., by appointment.
Guelph Transit office is closed. Phone lines (519-822-1811) open 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and mobility dispatch open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Stone Road Mall is closed on Sept. 5
WHAT’S CLOSED (VIA GUELPH.CA):
• City Hall and all city administration offices
• Ontario Court of Justice (Provincial Offences Court)
• Waste Resource Innovation Centre (office)
• Public Drop-off and household Hazardous Waste Depot
• Operations office (45 Municipal St.)
• Parks and Forestry office (45 Municipal St.)
• West End Community Centre
• Victoria Road Recreation Centre
• Evergreen Seniors Community Centre
• McCrae House
• River Run Centre (box office)
• Sleeman Centre (arena and office)
• Centennial Arena
• Exhibition Arena
• Guelph Sports Dome
• Guelph public libraries
• Guelph Civic Museum
• Splash pads and wading pools will be open on their usual schedule.